Ginger is a plant with yellowish-green flowers and leafy stems, primarily grown in warmer parts of China, Japan, and India. It is being produced more and more in the Middle East for medicinal purposes. Ginger is used fresh, powdered, dried, or as an oil or juice.
Most of us know of ginger as a spice; the ginger spice comes from the plant’s roots. You may have heard it called ginger root, or simply ginger. It is a very common ingredient in recipes. In foods and beverages, ginger is used for flavoring. The distinctive fragrance and flavor of the root come from its natural oils, often used as a fragrance for soaps and cosmetics.
Ginger is commonly used for various stomach problems, including morning sickness, motion and seasickness, upset stomach, gas, diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), colic, vertigo and nausea. One of the chemicals in ginger is used as an ingredient in antacid, laxative and anti-gas medications.
Because ginger contains chemicals that may reduce inflammation, it is not hard to believe that it effectively reduces muscle pain and exercise-induced muscle soreness. Studies show that taking ginger by mouth works as well for pain in hip and knee osteoarthritis as drugs such as ibuprofen. Some research also shows that applying ginger gel or oil to the knee can relieve osteoarthritis pain.
One last note on ginger’s many benefits – some people pour the fresh juice on their skin to treat burns or apply the ginger extract to the skin to prevent insect bites.
The next time you see that crazy-looking root in your local grocery store, take note! Ginger is not just for cooking anymore. Reap the anti-inflammatory benefits as well!
Everybody loves a chicken wing and sometimes a sauce other than buffalo is a nice change. Try this recipe and see for yourself how delicious ginger can be!
Sesame Ginger Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer
- 20 wing sections or 2 lbs chicken wings tips removed, drummies and flats separated
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Spray air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Place chicken wings in a single layer in the basket. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- Set the air fryer to 400°F for 20 minutes. Cook until golden and crispy, turning halfway through cooking time.
- Top with Sesame Ginger Sauce (see recipe) or your favorite wing sauce.
Try this delicious sauce to coat your wings.
Sesame Ginger Sauce
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos coconut aminos or tamari soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- ½" piece ginger peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- ¼ cup sesame seeds toasted
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- Red pepper or chili flakes to taste, if you like a kick
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, Liquid Aminos, honey, ginger and garlic until well combined. Add the sesame seeds.
- When chicken wings are ready, transfer them to the large bowl and toss until evenly coated. Sprinkle with the sliced green onion and serve immediately.
#ginger #healthbenefits #antiinflammatory #gingerchicken
Want free anti-inflammatory recipes, downloadable resources and efficiency tips and tricks from a professional chef? Of course, you do! Click here for the secret sauce!