March 18 is National Sloppy Joe’s day! We tried some varieties of Sloppy Joe’s — see which one you like best!
Sweet Potato Sloppy Joes
- 12 oz ground beef
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 oz yellow onions finely diced
- 2 oz red & green pepper finely diced
- 1 oz celery finely diced
- ½ tsp garlic minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- Cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake sweet potato until tender, about 35 minutes. Let sit to cool then cut in half lengthwise.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions, garlic and celery until the onions are tender.
- Add the ground beef to the same skillet to brown.
- Once the ground beef is browned, add all spices, honey and bell peppers to the skillet. Pour in the diced tomatoes with the liquids and the tomato sauce. Simmer all together on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Spoon ½ of the sloppy joe mixture into each half of the potato and serve warm.
Turkey Sloppy Joe's
- 1 ½ lb ground turkey breast
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped bell pepper any color
- ½ cup ketchup See link above
- 3 Tbsp barbecue sauce no added sugar or see link above
- 1 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce no added sugar
- ½ tsp celery seed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, onion and bell pepper for 5 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add the remaining ingredients; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on anti-inflammatory bread/buns or crisp napa cabbage or lettuce leaves.
If you’re interested in an anti-inflammatory lifestyle and more recipes like this one, check out The Official Anti-Inflammatory Diet Masterclass. Or email us at email@example.com for more details.
Want free anti-inflammatory recipes, downloadable resources and efficiency tips and tricks from a professional chef? Of course you do! Click here for the secret sauce!