Because we like to stay away from flour and corn tortillas, we put a spin on a favorite Mexican treat and came up with a delicious anti-inflammatory version of a burrito. This looks like a lot of ingredients, but if you look close you’ll see that there are just a lot of delicious seasonings (that are probably already in your cabinet) to spice up the flavor of this meal.
- 12 oz cauliflower rice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tsp sea salt divided
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp jalapeno pepper minced, or to taste
- 1 ¼ tsp onion powder divided
- 1 ¼ tsp garlic powder divided
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 Tbsp water
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 large tomato chopped
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the cauliflower rice and stir to coat. Cover skillet and steam for about 2 minutes.
- Uncover and stir, then add jalapeno, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp garlic powder, cayenne pepper and lime juice. Cook and stir another 1 – 2 minutes until you have desired texture. Don’t overcook or the rice will become mushy. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile in a separate skillet , crumble beef and break up with a spatula. Add ½ tsp salt, ¾ tsp onion powder, ¾ tsp garlic powder, cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper to taste; cook, stirring occasionally until browned. Do not drain the fat. Lower heat to medium-low and add the tomato paste and water, stirring to combine. Continue to cook and stir until thickened, then remove to a separate bowl, keeping juices in the skillet.
- Heat the same skillet over medium and add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add peppers and onions and stir to coat with fat. Sprinkle with a bit of salt to taste, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until softened and browning. Remove from heat.
- To assemble burrito bowls, begin with the cauliflower rice, then layer the beef, peppers and onions. Add shredded lettuce if you like. Garnish with tomato, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice if desired.
Simple Homemade Guacamole
- 1 large ripe avocado peeled, pitted and mashed
- 2-3 Tbsp onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp jalapeno peppers minced
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Mash together the avocado with the rest of the ingredients. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Want free anti-inflammatory recipes, downloadable resources and efficiency tips and tricks from a professional chef? Of course, you do! Click here for the secret sauce!