by: Ali Brown, RD, LD
In my house, chili is a hearty comfort food consumed in the fall and winter months. However, while chili isn’t necessarily bad for you, some bowls can add up to over 700 calories after toppings are added. While working with clients who are following anti-inflammatory diets we found that chili can be part of a healthy diet! So we have come up with healthier anti-inflammatory chili recipes.
A few tips for keeping your chili “lean” include:
- Watch your toppings: high-fat toppings like sour cream and cheese should be limited (or avoided if you can’t resist the temptation). There are plenty of other add-ins that can bring variety to your chili.
- Choose a lean meat: Choose the leanest meat you can find at the store, or make sure to remove the fat from your pan before using.
- Cut carbs: you can GREATLY reduce the carb content in your chili by eliminating the beans. We often have customers tell us that they don’t even miss the beans in our hearty chili.
Healthier Anti-Inflammatory Chili Recipe in Your Pressure Cooker
20-Minute Beef Chili
- Pressure Cooker or Stove Top
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper any color, diced
- ½ cup beef stock or broth
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive or grape seed oil
- Franks RedHot Sauce and green onions for garnish optional
- Place the inner pot in the pressure cooker. Pour the oil in the inner pot. Turn the dial to 20 minutes. Add the beef and onions. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Place the lid on the pressure cooker, lock the lid and switch the pressure release valve to closed.
- Once the timer reaches 0, the pressure cooker will automatically switch to warm. Switch the pressure release valve to open. When the steam is completely released, remove the lid.
- Serve with hot sauce if you like the extra kick and green onions to garnish.
If you’re interested in an anti-inflammatory lifestyle and more information and recipes like this, check out The Official Anti-Inflammatory Diet Masterclass. Or email us at info@VitalityConsultantsLLC.com for more details.